Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe that I have had for many years. The recipe originally came from my first microwave cookbook. It is so easy to make and yet so delicious.
- 14 -16 ounces caramel candies
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Combine caramels, water and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl (microwave safe bowl).
- microwave at high 3-5 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring after 2 minutes.
- Stir in cereal and peanuts.
- Press mixture in well buttered 13x9 or12x8 pan.
- Place topping ingredients in microwave safe bowl.
- microwave ,stirring occasionally until melted and blended.
- Spread over bars and cool.
- Note: caramels are about 396.9 to 453.6 grams.
- Microwave times will vary.
Dotty these were amazing! Everyone loved them! I included them om my Christmas cookie trays. Sweet and salty, great combination ; )
Perfect for kids in the kitchen! My 4y/o was thrilled to be able to help from start to finish - no oven to have to avoid! We used honey roasted peanutes since we had them & it was a wonderful sweet/salty combo. These are very addictive - dh keeps cutting small pieces from the pan when he walks through the kitchen. We topped these w/some of the peanuts and a handful or two of mini chocolate chips.
I *LOVE* these bars, they are so habit forming, I ate almost half a pan myself! I'm going to give these a try next time using fruit-flavor oat cereal YUMMMMM! thanks for sharing Dot!...Kitten:)