Recipe by NVirginian
This comes from Holiday Cooking 1997 and is the best I've ever tasted hands down. I'm posting it here so I don't have to keep searching for the recipe in the huge pile in my closet. The preparation time is approximate. Enjoy!
- 12 cups popped popcorn (about 1/2 to 2/3 cups unpopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes please!)
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. Remove any unpopped kernels from the popped corn. Place popcorn and nuts in pan. Keep warm in a warm 300°F oven.
- Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 12 minutes. Cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and using a wire whisk stir in the baking soda. The mixture will foam so be careful and keep stirring.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and nuts and stir gently to coat.
- Bake in 300Fe oven for 15 minutes. Stir the popcorn and bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven and spread on a large piece of foil to cool.
- Break apart to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.