Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was given to me by my mother. It is quick to put together and tastes sinful (probably because it is!)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, and egg.
- Cut in 1/2 cup margarine until crumbly.
- Stir in nuts.
- Reserve 2 cups of this crumb mixture.
- Press remainder firmly on bottom of greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels with sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 cup margarine.
- Pour over prepared crust and spread evenly.
- Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Cool and cut into small bars.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.
These bars are absolutely fabulous!!! The extra added bonus is they are sooo easy to make. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe. Thanks again for a great recipe. :-)
These are terrific!! I used cappuccino marshmallows, and the taste was awesome. It's an easy recipe to make, which is good, because I'll definatly be making it again!
If I make this again, I would add in some vanilla and use parchment paper. Mine stuck to the pan so bad that I could not serve it in bars...it was more like serving it in globs, and I generously greased my pan. I took another reviews idea and sprinkled a few chocolate chips on top, not very many, just enough to give a little taste. I will attempt to make this again.