Recipe by ratherbebaking
These cookies are very rich and very good. They are not hard to make, just time consuming, but they are worth it. The original recipe came from VeryBestBaking.
Top Review by Sadlbum
I tried these for my christmas platters this year and they were the hit with everyone! I can not believe that this recipe has not been rated yet!! The only reason I can think of is they are more of a bar than a cookie. It does seem like a lot of ingredients but it makes a huge pan that will treat a lot of people. I will be making these again and again and not just for the holidays. I can't wait to take these to church and for bake sales. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 14 ounces butterscotch chips, divided
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 7 ounces marshmallow creme
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped salted peanuts
- 14 ounces caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 17x11x1 baking pan with parchment paper Cookie Layer: In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter, brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar until creamy.
- Add pudding mix, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla, mix well.
- Blend together flour, soda and salt, gradually mix into sugar mixture.
- Mix in 1 1/3 cup butterscotch chips.
- Spread onto prepared pan.
- Bake 10-11 minutes, until light golden brown.
- To create a chewier cookie base, hold pan 2-3 inches above counter and allow to drop.
- Place on cooling rack, cool completely.
- Nougat Layer: In a medium heavy sauce pan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar and evaporated milk.
- Stirring constantly, bring to boil, stirring constantly, cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add marshmallow creme, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir in peanuts.
- Spread on cooled cookie layer.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Caramel Layer: In medium heavy saucepan, over low heat combine caramels and cream.
- Heat until blended, stirring constantly.
- Cool until just warm.
- Spread over nougat layer.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Chocolate Layer: In a medium micowave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, 1/3 cup butterscotch chips and 1/4 cup peanut butter for 1 minute at power level 7 (70%).
- Stir, heat another 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth.
- Spread over caramel layer.
- Let chocolate layer harden before cutting into 1 inch squares.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.