Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Had these at a wedding shower and they were so yummy! My friend said she clipped this recipe from a Kraft advertisement that appeared in a magazine about 30 years ago. She uses rice krisp cereal so not sure what it would be like with a toasted oat cereal.
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 cups crisp rice cereal or 5 cups toasted oat cereal
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Melt caramels with water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently till caramels are melted and sauce is smooth.
- Toss cereal and peanuts together in a bowl. Pour the melted caramel sauce over the mixture and toss until well coated.
- With buttered fingers, press the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate and butterscotch chips on top and place in a 200F oven for about 5 minutes or until chips are softened. Spread the softened chips to blend slightly and form a frosting over the top. Cool and cut into bars. Cut into 30 bars or in sizes as desired.
Great recipe. I always use rice crispies for the cereal.
I love this recipe! It's the perfect combination of sweet and salty!
Yummmmmyy! My Grandma used to make these as a special treat...better than candy bars!!