Recipe by Mirj
This is one of those desserts that is likely to kill you, and is well worth it! Totally comfort food, something your mother would only let you have one small piece of, but as an adult you can inhale the entire pie!
Top Review by JennK317
I didn't even know what a caramel pie was until one of my roomates told me. We searched high and low to find one that was the same she had before. And we found it! This pie is so good. I'll definitely be making this over and over again!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk, scalded
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 inches pie shells, baked
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar evenly in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place over medium heat.
- Caramelize sugar by constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Remove sugar from heat, gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and flour.
- Add to caramelized sugar mixture.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into the yolks, add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return to low heat, cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Add butter, vanilla, and pinch of salt, stirring well.
- Spoon custard into pie crust, and set aside.
- Add a pinch of salt to egg whites, and beat (at room temperature) until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over custard, sealing to edges.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool pie completely before serving.