1/4 Photos of Caramel Meringue Pie
This is one of those desserts that is likely to kill you, and is well worth it! Totally comfort food, something your mother would only let you have one small piece of, but as an adult you can inhale the entire pie!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar evenly in a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place over medium heat.
- 2Caramelize sugar by constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 3Remove sugar from heat, gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.
- 4Combine 3/4 cup sugar and flour.
- 5Add to caramelized sugar mixture.
- 6Beat egg yolks.
- 7Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into the yolks, add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- 8Return to low heat, cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- 9Add butter, vanilla, and pinch of salt, stirring well.
- 10Spoon custard into pie crust, and set aside.
- 11Add a pinch of salt to egg whites, and beat (at room temperature) until foamy.
- 12Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 13Spread meringue over custard, sealing to edges.
- 14Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- 15Cool pie completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.0
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 203.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 47.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g