Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful dessert for large get-togethers or potlucks.
Make and share this Caramel Meringue recipe from Food.com.
- 125 g butter
- 100 ml sugar
- 15 ml oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500 ml flour
- 12 1⁄2 ml baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk, caramelised
- 3 large egg whites
- 175 ml sugar
- 100 g pecan nuts, chopped
- 100 g glace cherries, chopped
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and oil.
- Add sifted dry ingredients.
- Press into 36 X 27 cm jelly roll sheet.
- Beat caramel with fork to make it more pliable.
- Spread evenly over raw base.
- Beat egg whites till stiff.
- Beat in 100ml sugar then fold in remaining sugar, nuts and cherries.
- Spread over caramel.
- Put in oven set to 180C then turn oven down to 170C and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 160C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and decorate with rosette of cream topped with a nut or cherry (optional).