Recipe by Sharon123
Hate the calories and the high price tag of your favorite Macchiato? Well, you can make it in the comfort of your own home! I use almond milk but you can use the milk of your choice. From Babble.
Top Review by Ceezie
We really liked this. I have one of those coffee machines that makes the coffee while it froths the milk below. I used some wonderful caramel sauce we got at costco. My kids wanted extra caramel sauce on theirs. We also used decaf. Thanks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup (recipe follows)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh espresso (I use decaf)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, steamed and frothy with foam (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 3 -4 tablespoons caramel sauce (I used the same jarred caramel sauce that is sold as an ice cream topping)
For the Vanilla syrup
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the vanilla syrup, combine sugar and water in a sauce pan. Bring to boil over high heat and boil for 5 minutes. Let cool and add vanilla extract. Stir well and keep in a sealed container, refrigerated.
- To make coffee, either use an espresso machine to make coffee and steam milk, or heat milk until hot, but not boiling on stove-top and transfer to a blender. Blend until frothy. For espresso, if you don’t have a machine, just make double strength coffee.
- The proper way to make a caramel macchiato is vanilla in the bottom, steamed milk, leaving 1/2 inch from the top, topped with foam, then your shot or shots of espresso, finally topped with a caramel cross hatch which is 7 lines one way 7 lines the other way and 2 full circles all the way around the outer cup.