Recipe by Dotty2
A recipe that was brought to a family reunion which was a crowd pleader. So very simple to make. Shortbread with a wonderful twist.
Top Review by Outnumbered By Peanuts
I made these last week as part of my head start on Christmas baking. I really wanted to love these - the flavor is outstanding - but for some reason there seems to be too much butter in it and they turned out extremely greasy for me. I put them in the freezer, hoping they would set up better; that helped, but you can totally see the (now) solidified butter all at the bottom of the bars. I tried dipping the bottoms in chocolate to cover that up, but it just didn't seem right texture-wise. I'm not sure what went wrong because I followed the measurements and directions exactly as stated and baked appropriately. Taste-wise, they're very rich and I love the concept of the coffee and toffee added in. I may try what lilquiz did and add those items into a different shortbread recipe sometime and see if I end up with better results. Thank you for posting the idea!
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (not margarine)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups hershey Skor English toffee bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve coffee in hot water.
- Beat butter, coffee and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir together flour and toffee bits.
- Mix into butter mixture the flour and toffee bits half a cup at a time until combined.
- Press dough into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.