Recipe by manushag
My friend Ruby got this recipe at Starbucks. We used instant espresso instead of Starbucks Via as the recipe requires, you can also substitute instant cappuccino in mocha or vanilla...delicious. Also original recipe called for evaporated milk in the frosting but I substituted half and half which gave it a better flavor.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 5 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare 13 x 9 pan by spraying with Pam and either sprinkle with flour or cover with parchment paper, and spray paper with Pam.
- Make cake batter according to package directions using water. oil & eggs.
- Pour batter into 13 x 9 prepared pan leaving about 1-1/2 cups of batter in mixer bowl.
- Add instant coffee powder to mixer and blend until coffee dissolves.
- Drop dollops of coffee flavored batter on top of batter in pan and marbelize using a butter knife.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick. (Stick toothpick in toward the center of cake and check for crumbs. If there are no crumbs on pick, cake is done.).
- Frosting: Put brown sugar, half and half, butter, corn syrup and a pinch of salt into a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for five minutes. Add vanilla and pour into mixer bowl and start mixing on slow speed. Add confectioners sugar and mix well until sugar is well combined and frosting has cooled down a bit. It will be thin. When cake has cooled, pour warm glaze over cake and enjoy!