Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This one is on my 'to bake' list. I found it on dianasdesserts.com
Make and share this Caramel Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
For The Cake
- cooking spray
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 295.73 ml milk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
For The Caramel Frosting
- 236.59 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 118.29 ml evaporated milk
- 36.97 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 9.85 ml light corn syrup
- 0.25 ml salt
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar
- 12.32 ml vanilla extract
- pecan halves
- To Prepare the Cake:.
- Coat two (9-inch/23cm) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper. Coat paper with cooking spray; dust with the 1 tablespoon flour.
- Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 30 minutes* (see note), or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper or parchment paper; cool completely on wire rack.
- *Note: If using non-stick or dark colored cake pans, bake at 325 degrees F (160 C), and bake for 25-27 minutes.
- To Prepare the Caramel Frosting:.
- Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools).
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on to cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake, and garnish top of cake with pecan halves (optional). Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
TeksGlutes, hello - this cake was just wonderful! It was an easy layer cake to make - added only 1 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of brandy or bourbon - delicious! It was a last minute change as I had the recipe on my to "bake" list as well. With the yummy caramel frosting - made it as is! We all had a ball eating this tasty dessert. Thank you for posting, Manami
OOPS,,forgot to rate this as 5 stars..