1/1 Photo of Caramel Layer Cake
This one is on my 'to bake' list. I found it on dianasdesserts.com
My Private Note
9 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
For The Cake
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For The Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1To Prepare the Cake:.
- 2Coat two (9-inch/23cm) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper or parchment paper. Coat paper with cooking spray; dust with the 1 tablespoon flour.
- 3Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- 4Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 30 minutes* (see note), or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper or parchment paper; cool completely on wire rack.
- 5*Note: If using non-stick or dark colored cake pans, bake at 325 degrees F (160 C), and bake for 25-27 minutes.
- 6To Prepare the Caramel Frosting:.
- 7Combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add confectioners' sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools).
- 8Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on to cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake, and garnish top of cake with pecan halves (optional). Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1811 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2837.9
- Calories from Fat 692
- Total Fat 76.9 g
- Saturated Fat 46.4 g
- Cholesterol 385.8 mg
- Sodium 1927.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 509.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 377.6 g
- Protein 33.0 g