Recipe by gailanng
Brown sugar is the shortcut to quick caramel flavor in both the cake layers and the frosting. From Southern Living 2010.
- 3 cups fresh shaved coconut (not sweetened)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Quick Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Place shaved coconut in a single layer in a shallow pan. Place pecans in a second shallow pan. Bake coconut and pecans at the same time 5 to 7 minutes or until coconut is toasted and pecans are lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add granulated and brown sugars, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in pecans and 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form, and fold into batter. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Prepare Quick Caramel Frosting. Immediately spread frosting between layers and on top of cake. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting over sides of cake; press 3 cups toasted shaved coconut onto sides of cake.
- QUICKE CARAMEL FROSTING: Bring first 3 ingredients to a rolling boil in a 3 1/2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly (about 7 minutes).
- Stir in cream, and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour into bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium speed, using whisk attachment; beat 8 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Use immediately.
- Test Kitchen Tip: Don't panic if you overbeat the frosting. Thin to a spreadable consistency by adding 1 to 2 teaspoons hot water.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended; stir in vanilla.