Recipe by Amandochka
Bon Appétit December 2002
Top Review by J. Ko
I made this for PAC Spring 2008. This was absolutely delicious and rich but can you go wrong with caramel, cream, butter and cream cheese? Definitely a recipe I will save for very special occasions, given the fat content. Thank you for posting this decadent icing!
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces, room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk whipping cream and cream cheese in small bowl until smooth.
- Combine sugar and 2/3 cup water in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with pastry brush dipped in water and swirling pan, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly and carefully whisk in cream cheese mixture (caramel mixture will bubble vigorously). Add butter; whisk until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; cool caramel icing 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Makes enough for one 9 in layer cake, plus leftovers for serving.