Okay, so I know that we really cheated on the sauce by using a jarred sauce, but this is exactly what we served to some guests for a last minute dessert after a meal of "Brats--Our Way" and grilled corn on the cob, and they loved it! For four adults and two small children, this really was just barely enough, and we could have probably eaten another pineapple. I noticed that most other pineapple recipes here involve marinating the pineapple or brushing it with something just before grilling. We've never tried that, but really enjoy the simple, fresh taste of the pineapple without other added ingredients. If you've never tried grilled pineapple, you owe it to your tastebuds to try one of the recipes for it here on the zaar!
- Peel, core, and slice pineapple into 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick rings. If your pineapple is already cored and sliced in a way that makes it impossible to cut into rings, just cut into big wedges. Pieces that are cut too small make it difficult to grill without losing pieces in the grill, as the pineapple will soften somewhat.
- Grill on a lightly oiled BBQ grill grate over medium to high heat, turning once, until the pineapple has nice grill marks, is warm, and slightly softened. Time will vary depending on your grill, but your eyes and your nose will tell you when it's ready!
- Warm caramel ice cream topping in microwave according to package directions.
- Assemble sundaes by placing a portion of pineapple in the bottom of each bowl. Top with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream, end drizzle a large spoonful of warm caramel topping over the top, and serve immediately.
- Enjoy the compliments from your guests.
- Grin as they ooooh and aahhhh over what a genius you are! :).