Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you love caramel candies, this recipe will be like heaven to you! It is soft and wonderful. I use it to make homemade turtles candy, but you can use it to make anything you want. It is EXCELLENT!! Note: I like to use a metal spatula to stir with so it helps keep it from burning.
- 1 cup butter (Sorry NO substitute)
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter in a heavy 3 quart sauce pan.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Now stir in corn syrup.
- Mix well.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium heat and heat to firm ball stage (245 degrees), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour into a 9x9x2 buttered pan; cool, cut into squares (or make turtles by arranging two pecan halves on a buttered sheet of waxed paper and spooning a little caramel on top of the pecans, let cool, then spooning a little melted milk chocolate on top).
- Enjoy when cooled.
This is one of my favorite recipes!!! I can't stop eating them. These are a sugary addiction you cannot resist, plain or dipped! It's nice and chewy, which sadly makes it hard to cut. Could be made in a slightly larger pan, this fills up fairly high and takes a long time to set up. Couldn't find a 15 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, 14 ounces works perfectly. I will definitely be making this many times more. THANK YOU michEgan!!!!
A bazillion stars for Caramel Gold. *smack me, because...* I can't believe I haven't written a review for this FABULOUS, PERFECT carmel recipe, yet. I've been using this recipe, exclusively, since 2004. This is the best. No question. I make it every year for Christmas and do all sorts of different things with it. It's my family's favorite caramel, ever! I apologize for not giving you the accolades you deserve, years ago. *blush* Thank you so much for sharing, michEgan.
We loved this, especially my dh. We ate it all before I could try to make the turtles. But I am looking forward to making them in the future. Thanks so much for sharing.