Recipe by Chef Patience
This recipe is from the Complete Baking Cookbook. Cooking time does not include time for cooling.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces,plus
- 10 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, softened,plus
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 1⁄2 ounces milk chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9 in square pan.
- Add sifted flour and ½ c butter pieces together.
- Rub the butter in with your fingers until it is fine crumbs.
- Add 3 tbsp softened brown sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
- Press dough into the bottom of the pan and make holes in it with a fork.
- Bake for 20 min until golden.
- Cool in the pan.
- In a sauce pan sprayed with non-stick spray, mix 10 tsp butter, 3 tbsp softened brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and cook for 4 to 5 min, until the caramel is pales gold and is coming away from the sides of the pan.
- Pour the hot caramel over the shortbread and spread evenly.
- When the caramel is cool and firm (make sure of this), melt the chocolate.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the caramel and let cool.
- Cut into bars.