Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
What better candy to share at Christmas than fudge? This fudge can be cut with cookie cutters to present a more unique presentation to your holiday candy gifts! From Southern Living.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 caramels, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup skinned hazelnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter an aluminum foil-lined 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Butter the inside of a large heavy saucepan.
- Combine sugar and cocoa in saucepan; stir in milk and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add 4 Tablespoons butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238° (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining ingredients.
- Do not stir.
- Let mixture cool to 130° (about 40 minutes).
- Beat fudge by hand with a wooden spoon until it thickens and begins to lose its gloss (about 10 minutes).
- Quickly spread fudge into prepared pan; let cool completely.
- Lift fudge out of pan with foil; invert fudge onto a cutting board, and discard foil.
- Cut desired shapes using 2-inch cookie cutters, or cut fudge into 1 1/2-inch squares.