Recipe by evelyn/athens
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Great cake but very rich, you have to have a definate sweet tooth for this cake! I made as directed but I strongly suggest to reduce the sugar in the cake, with the added sweetness of the caramel fudge filling it is overly sweet!. Thanks Evelyn!...Kitten:)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water (optional)
Caramel Fudge Filling
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- freshly whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F; butter and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and coffee liquid (if using); beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated; pour HALF of batter into prepared pan; bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan over low heat, melt caramels and butter; remove from heat; add condensed milk and mix well; spread caramel mixture evenly over cake; spread remaining cake batter over caramel mixture; top with nuts; return to oven; bake 30 to 35 minutes longer or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- A dollop of freshly-whipped cream on each piece is not a bad thing!