Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
from Southern Living
- 3 cups sugar (divided)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow, heavy 3 1/2 quart Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts (sugar will clump) and syrup is light golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Combine remaining 2 1/2 cups sugar and flour in a large saucepan, stirring well; add milk, and bring to a boil,stirring constantly.
- Gradually pour about one-fourth of hot misture into caramelized sugar, stirring.
- constantly; add remaining hot mixture (mixture will lump, but continue stirring until smooth).
- Return mixture to heat; cover and cook over low heat 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees. Add butter, stirring to blend. Remove from heat, and cool, without stirring, until temperature drops to 110 degrees (about 1 hour). Add vanilla, and beat with a wooden spoon or at medium speed of an electric mixer, until of spreading consistency (about 20 minutes).
It deserves every star! Just don't get in a hurry.