Recipe by Mercy
This is my family's traditional angel food cake frosting. It is so very rich that it may be complete overkill on a sweeter, heavier cake. My grandmother made many a birthday cake using this recipe. In fact, the photograph that I have included is from my older brother's 2nd birthday in March 1961!
Top Review by dtwebb
I made this for a brown sugar angel food cake also found on this site. A wonderful combination! I wanted more of a glaze, so only used 2 cups of powdered sugar. The consistency was perfect. It poured easily while warm, but made a nice firm glaze when cooled.
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the brown sugar.
- Boil and stir for at least one minute.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and add the milk.
- With a hand mixer beat in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time until the spreading consistency is right for you.
- It should not be a very thick consistency for angel food cake, because it will harden as it cools.