Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, hand-me-down edition (from Grandma), publisched about 50 years ago. I use it on peanut butter-chocolate cookies and to spice up plain sugar cookies.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Syrup: In heavy skillet melt the sugar and caramelize, stirring constantly, to a deep golden brown.
- slowly add 2/3 cups of boiling water.
- Cook and stir till all caramelized sugar dissolves and mix is reduced to 1/2 cup (keeps a long time in refrigerator).
- Frosting: Place all ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed about 1/2 minute to blend.
- place over boiling water, but not touching the water.
- Cook, beating constantly, till stiff peaks form- do not overcook, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and frost cake before frosting sets.
great stuff, it's actually easy to make and the best part is there is leftover syrup so the next time prep time is even less.....thanks i love it...kids loved it as well :)