Recipe by Renate
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, hand-me-down edition (from Grandma), publisched about 50 years ago. I use it on peanut butter-chocolate cookies and to spice up plain sugar cookies.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Syrup: In heavy skillet melt the sugar and caramelize, stirring constantly, to a deep golden brown.
- slowly add 2/3 cups of boiling water.
- Cook and stir till all caramelized sugar dissolves and mix is reduced to 1/2 cup (keeps a long time in refrigerator).
- Frosting: Place all ingredients in top of double boiler.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed about 1/2 minute to blend.
- place over boiling water, but not touching the water.
- Cook, beating constantly, till stiff peaks form- do not overcook, about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and frost cake before frosting sets.