Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Frosting for buns, cakes, and other desserts.
- 3 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup half-and-half, plus
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar and half and half in a heavy saucepan and cook, stirring over low heat until syrup reaches the soft-ball stage, 235 degrees on a candy thermometer. If lacking a thermometer, check doneness by dropping a tiny bit of syrup into a cup of cold water. When the syrup can be gathered up in fingers and will almost hold its shape, it has reached the soft-ball stage.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in butter, then let syrup cool. Add vanilla and beat until frosting reaches spreading consistency. A little cream (or half-and-half) may be added is mixture is too thick.