Recipe by GondolaQueen
This is the "icing" for the birthday spice cake from my childhood. It's the only reason I still admit to having a birthday. To get this cake/ icing combo out of my dad.
Top Review by GibbyLou
I made this to go with your Recipe #429814 and it was a lovely complement. It was quite quick to make and I loved the very specific instructions about how to cook it. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first four (4) ingredients and place on stove to boil. DO NOT STIR after it begins to boil.
- Time for 4 minutes after the first bubbles break the surface. Immediately take it off the stove, and add the vanilla, butter and rum flavour (if using).
- Pour it out onto a cooled spice cake. Allow to harden for as long as you can.
- Eat it all before someone else does.
- Call me if you can't finish it.
- *Also note you can hit this with a smidge of cinnamon, or nutmeg or cloves if you like, but I find the rum flavour makes the best combo with the cake.