Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A classic custard baked in its own caramel sauce. This recipe comes from Mexico City. It is a little sweeter and firmer than the typical custard. You can make it the day before serving.
- Place a large, shallow pan, filled with 1 inch of hot water in oven at 350 degrees.
- Caramelize 1/2 cup sugar by putting it in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. When it starts to melt, stir constantly until smooth and amber in color. Pour immediately into a 6-cup ring or loaf pan. Evenly coat bottom.
- Beat eggs until just frothy. Add 1/2 cup sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla and salt. Beat to blend.
- Pour mixture into caramel-lined pan. Set in pan of water in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, loosen flan around edge with knife. Place serving dish upside down over mold, invert quickly.
- Garnish with orange slices.
- Tip - to simplify the caramel sauce - eliminate step 2 and butter the pan and pack the bottom of the pan with 1/2 cup brown sugar.
I love flan and this tastes so good, thanks for sharing.