Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
I got this recipe a long time ago, from my brother's library, I believe the cookbook is called "Mexican Fiesta." When I get all the correct info, I will edit this description.
- 1 cup sugar, divieded
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- hot water
- fresh whole strawberry
- sliced strawberry
- Pre heat oven to 325°F Heat a 5 ½ to 6 cups ring mold in oven for 10 minute or until hot. Heat ½ cup of sugar in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat, 5 to 8 min or until sugar is completely melted and deep amber color, stirring constantly. Do not allow sugar to brown. Immediately pour caramelized sugar into ring mold, with a potholder, quickly rotate to coat the bottom and sides evenly with sugar. Place mold on wire rack.
- Combine half & half, and milk in heavy saucepan. Heat over med heat until almost simmering; remove from heat. Add remaining ½ cup of sugar and vanilla, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Lightly beat eggs and egg yolks in a big bowl until blended but not foamy, gradually stir in milk mixture.
- Pour custard into ring mold. Place mold into large baking pan; pour hot water into baking pan to depth of ½ inch.
- Bake 35 to 45 min until knife inserted into center of custard comes out clean. Remove mold brom water bath; place on wire rack.
- Let stand for 30 minute Cover and refrigerate 1½ to 2 hrs until thoroughly chilled.
- To serve, loose inner and outes edges of flan with tip of small knife. Cover mold with rimmed plate, invert and lift.
- Garnish with strawberries (sliced and/or whole) and spoon caramel on top.