Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
My father-in-law baked these the other day, dropped off a few dozen to us, and now there are none left! He frequently adds new goodies to his cases at his bakery; these will included there starting next week:) Here is his recipe...prep time includes chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar or 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 30 caramels
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- COOKIES: Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until very light.
- Add the egg yolk and maple extract; blend well.
- Gradually mix in the flour just until a dough forms.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until easy to handle.
- FILLING: Meanwhile, melt the caramels in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Stir in the cream cheese until blended; set aside.
- Divide cookie dough in half; roll out each half between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/4" thickness.
- Spread the caramel mixture over the dough to within 1/2" of the edges.
- Roll dough up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with the long sides; wrap each roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4" slices; space 2" apart on greased or parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.