Recipe by loveleesmile
From our cookie swap. Brought by Don, a.k.a Mr. Mom.
Top Review by Ciocia DD
I found this recipe 12 years ago in a magazine. I'm making my "post holiday" cookies now and I couldn't find where I put my recipe! Thanks, Loveleesmile, for posting it here! Now I'll always have it. These cookies are fantastic. I find the bottoms to be a little too soft for gifting so I cut the Rollo candies in half. Then I form the dough around just half of a Rollo. I also skip the walnuts and I don't roll the tops of the cookie dough balls in sugar before baking. These cookies are delish enough. They don't need the walnuts or the extra sugar.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 48 chocolate-covered caramel candies
Directions See How It's Made
- For the candies, Dove with caramel are good.
- Beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup nuts with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Divide the dough into 4 parts. Work with one part at a time, leaving the remainder in the refrigerator until needed. Divide each part into 12 pieces. Quickly press each piece of dough around a chocolate covered caramel. Roll into a ball.
- Dip the tops into the sugar mixture.
- Place sugar side up, 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.