Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yumm. A Donna Hay recipe.
Make and share this Caramel-filled biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 250 g butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 egg
- 1 (400 g) can sweetened condensed milk
- 60 butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- Place the butter, icing sugar, flour, cornflour and egg in a food processor and process until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and-place on lined baking trays.
- Flatten the dough slightly and place the trays in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Bake the biscuits in a preheated oven, 180C until lightly golden.
- Cool on racks.
- To make the filling, combine the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a heatproof bowl.
- Place over a pan of boiling water and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes until the caramel is thick.
- Cool the caramel for 10 minutes, then spoon onto the flat side of half of the biscuits.
- Top with the remaining biscuits and allow to cool and become firm.
Based on the other reviews, I made a double batch of the dough, and just one batch of the caramel filling. I had 38 double cookies, and had enough filling for 35 of them. The last 3 I just used some jam. They are wonderful, and the filling is just great! Being I am in the US, golden syrup is difficult to find. I substituted pancake syrup and it worked just fine. I even really liked the addition of the slight maple flavor. I decided the cookies didnt have enough sweetness for me, so I sieved a small amount of powdered sugar over the finished cookies. Next time I will add 1/2 cup additional powdered sugar to the dough. I think that will be just perfect. An excellent cookie, and will be a great addition to my Christmas cookie trays.
An excellent recipe! As the other reviewer said, it is a shortbread type biscuit. I filled some of them with jam. Everyone loved them, thanks!
where have these biscuits been all my life?! they are beyond amazing and far and away the best i have tasted since i have been in the US where i have had to contend with the soft chewy texture of "cookies" that are so popular here, and that i don't like at all. this is just the kind of biscuits i used to have in SA and love so much. as if they are not stellar enough by themselves, the caramel filling catapults it into a whole new dimension. i don't think i can be effusive enough in my praise, i am just so thrilled to have found this recipe. it's great as is, though i think i should mention that for me, i halved the filling and still had some left over - even while sandwiching them generously. so one might want to adjust accordingly. btw, in the ingredient list, the unit of butter is not specified, so i assumed it to be 60grams, since the rest of the recipe was in metric. i think i'll leave this review now and go back to munching these wonderful goodies over some coffee:)