Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
When the cupboards are bare, this is a winner! Not only is it simple, but the flavor is delicious. My family asks me to make it often.
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
For the dumplings
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- For the sauce, melt the margarine in a casserole dish on top of the stove.
- Add brown sugar and boiling water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix all of the dumpling ingredients together.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
This was just out of this world. A really incredible flavor -- I can't believe it was so easy. I had it hot with some vanilla Haagen Dazs. If you like dulce de leche you'll love this.
Considering that I love caramel I wasn't really worried about liking this recipe. It was great! I added a dollop of whipped topping (though ice cream would be excellent as well) and I loved it!
So easy, so yummy and made from ingredients always on hand. Served with custard. Definite keeper.