Prep 50 mins
Cook 35 mins
found this in a box of recipe clippings that I found at a garage sale
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt.
- cook to hard ball stage (260*) -- stirring only till sugar dissolves.meanwhile beat egg whites to stiff peaks --
- pour syrup gradually over egg whites, beating at high speed of electric mixer.
- add vanilla and continue beating till candy holds its shape.(be sure to pour syrup slowly).
- with buttered hands, shape candy into 3/4" balls.(no larger, this is a rich tasting candy).
- It is a little easier to drop from a tspoon and roll into balls when set a little.
- let stand on waxed paper, till dry and firm.
- drop balls, one at a time into dipping caramel --
- turn with tines of a fork, till thinly coated --
- lift out, place on waxed paper to cool --
- TO PREPARE DIPPING CARAMEL:.
- in large heavy saucepan, thoroughly blend 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/3 cups sugar and 1 cup evaporated milk, and 1/8 tsp baking soda --
- cook and stir over medium heat till mixture comes to boiling and sugar dissolves --
- boil, stirring frequently, till candy reaches soft ball stage (230*) --
- remove from heat -- cool to 110* without stirring.
- beat till mixture is thick and creamy and loses its gloss --
- beat in 1/4 cup evaported milk.if caramel becomes too thick, stir in additional evaporated milk, a teaspoon at a time --
- better stir this constantly while cooking.it scorches easily -- .