Recipe by Dotty2
This is a wonderful dessert that you can make up ahead of time and freeze. It is served frozen--a dessert that you can have in the freezer just waiting for those unexpected guests. In the summer I keep one on hand to serve after a BBQ. Nice and refreshing on a nice warm day. But wonderful after any meal. I have been making this recipe for years and got the recipe out of a community book. Enjoy!!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Well, it might be a great summer dessert, but even in our cooler weather (Golly, but it's cold ~ Below 60 degrees already!) it's A WONDERFUL DESSERT! I put it together using a homemade caramel sauce, toasted pecans & a French vanilla ice cream ~ GREAT TASTING & so easy to get to the table once frozen! Thanks for the keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a PRESSIE in the Aus/NZ 12 Days of Christmas Recipe Swap]
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup melted butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups caramel ice cream topping
- 8 cups vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, pecans, brown sugar and rolled oats.
- Add melted butter and mix well.
- Pat in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble while still warm. Then cool and put half of the crumb mixture in a 9x13-inch pan (or Tupperware container).
- Drizzle the crumbs with half of the caramel sauce. Next spread the ice cream over the caramel, (ice cream slightly melted to make spreading easier).
- Top with remaining crumbs and drizzle the remainder of the caramel sauce over the top. Cover and freeze.
- To serve: Cut into serving slices. (Remove from freezer 1/2 hour before serving).