Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from an old Punahou Bulletin, courtesy of retired Food Services Director Tita Mowat Lyons. It's a blond brownie that brings back fond memories of Punahou School. Note: for a less cakey, more "fudgy" brownie, use 1 tsp. baking powder instead of 2 tsp.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325F . Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan.
- Melt butter, add brown sugar and blend.
- Add eggs, vanilla, dry ingredients and nuts.
- Pour into greased pan and bake for 40 minutes.
Don't miss the note in the description that says "Note: for a less cakey, more "fudgy" brownie, use 1 tsp. baking powder instead of 2 tsp."! It was definitely better with less baking powder. :)
Ooooh, yummy! I did cut the amount of brown sugar down to 1 1/4 cups as I don't like things that are too sweet. These still have a good sweetness to them without being overpowering. I have a new oven which seems to run a bit high so the top came out a bit darker than what I would have liked. For the nuts, I used a mixture of pecans, walnuts and almonds. Thanks Chilicat!