Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A very elegant dessert, which is surprisingly easy to make.
- Place 1 cup of sugar in a heavy pan.
- Stir sugar at low heat until it is liquid and light golden brown.
- Pour caramelized sugar evenly into six warm custard cups.
- Set cups aside.
- Place milk and cinnamon stick in a medium sized saucepan.
- Scald milk at medium heat and allow to cool.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar to eggs and beat well.
- Gradually add scalded milk to egg mixture, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour mixture into caramel lined cups.
- Place cups in a pan of hot water and baked in a 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Tasty! I did cut down the sugar by about 1/2 a cup. I also used the same pan for the milk as for the sugar so all the caramel that had hardened dissolved into the milk. Thanks!
I baked this last night to use up some milk. Great dessert! Nice and sweet-thanks!
Mmm, comfort food. I was craving some custard, and had some eggs I needed to use up anyway, so this was a great find! It never fails to amaze me how something as simple as "burnt sugar" turns into that velvety rich liquid that I love so much. I made this as directed, and I believe the only thing I might even consider doing differently next time would be to scrape a vanilla bean into the custard instead of using extract, just to see how that would work out. Thanks for the recipe!