Recipe I found a while back. These cupcakes are SOOO moist and tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, at room temperature
For the caramel icing
- 1For cupcakes:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Line about 18-20 muffin/cupcake cups with liners.
- 4In a large measuring cup, whisk together, the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk and set aside.
- 5In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Fit the mixer with the paddle attachment and turn the mixer on low. With the mixer running, gradually drop in the butter pieces and mix until the texture is uniform and the bits of butter aren’t discernable, about 2 minutes. With the mixer still on low, begin slowly pouring in the wet ingredients. When all the wet ingredients have been added, crank the speed up to medium and mix until the batter is light and fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 6Portion the batter into the muffin tins and bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly touched, 20-25 minutes. Let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a a wire rack to cool completely.
- 7For icing:.
- 8Put the dark brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium saucepan, and melt them together over medium heat, stirring often. Bring the mixture to a boil and add the milk and vanilla. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dump in the confectioners’ sugar all at once and beat with a wooden spoon until the icing is thickened and smooth. Quickly ice the cupcakes by holding each by the base and dipping the tops in the hot icing, rolling them slightly to coat evenly. Turn them quickly upright so the icing will even out while it’s still warm and will set smoothly. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.0
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.6 mg
- Sodium 132.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 29.9 g
- Protein 2.2 g