Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Caramel filled coffee cake with a cream cheese crunch topping
Make and share this Caramel Crunch Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 caramels, cut in half
- Cream together 1/4 cup margarine, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, 1/2 tablespoon milk.
- Set aside.
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Combine brown sugar and water in a 4 cup microwave proof cup.
- Microwave on high 5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla and salt.
- In mixing bowl, mix oats and brown sugar mixture.
- Spread onto parchment lined cookie sheet and bake 45 minutes-1 hour until golden brown.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little at a time.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Pour half the batter into a 9 x 13 baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
- Sprinkle with caramels and cinnamon.
- Pour remaining batter over.
- Bake 50 minutes or until edge begins to brown.
- Spread cream cheese topping over slightly cooled cake.
- Sprinkle granola topping over cream cheese.
I first submitted a correction, but do not know if it was accepted. It was, in line 1 of the directions, adding, after "Cream together": 4 oz. cream cheese, Other than that correction, the coffee cake was good, but would be better if the caramels and cream cheese frosting were omitted. The actual coffee cake itself and and granola topping are very good and a great combination. With those changes, it makes a great breakfast coffee cake!