Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are my all-time favorite cookies. The recipe is my mother's. She usually makes them at Christmas, but I say make them anytime. After all, there is no bad time for good cookies.
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 teaspoons evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Cream 1 cup butter, then slowly add brown sugar and cream well.
- Blend in egg yolk, then stir in flour.
- Continue stirring until a ball of dough forms.
- Chill dough for easier handling.
- Shape dough into balls the size of large marbles.
- Flatten each ball of dough to about 1/8" thickness using palm of hand.
- Mark each cookie by pressing with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While cookies are baking, slightly brown 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
- Remove saucepan from heat and blend in powdered sugar.
- Gradually add vanilla and evaporated milk, stirring until a spreading consistency is achieved.
- Spread filling on one cookie, then top with a second cookie.
- Pour a tall glass of cold milk and enjoy the cookies.
These are melt in the mouth delicious. I hated having to use two to make one cookie!
These cookies are pretty good and fun! I found it easier to slide a fork down the length of cookie once on baking sheet, which presses the dough into the sheet. I also rolled some and cut with cute cookie cutters and they looked adorable!!! The creme filling was way sweet, though still good. I, personally, would reduce the sugar next time.
these cookies are simply wonderful and easy to make