Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My Cousin JoAnn makes these and they are awesome! The cookie is short and nutty and the creamy filling is wonderful. JoAnn makes the most perfect cookies
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Cookie: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla.
- Stir in flour and salt, then pecans.
- After mixing ingredients shape into two 10- inch rolls and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool, then frost one side of a cookie and sandwich it with another.
- Filling: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla, then cream to reach nice spreading consistency.
- Yield is approximate.
I planned these for our Holiday Cookie trays, so I made a double batch, and ended up with more than 8 dozen wonderful cookies. The ONLY problem I encountered is that one week after they were made, they're ALL GONE! My husband and I have eaten them ALL! Back to the oven I go - but I won't go until I'm JUST ready to give out the trays so there's a higher chance to get them out of our house and into grateful hands! :) Thank you ever so much for a FABULOUS recipe that I'd gladly give a MILLION stars to. :)
ETA: Dozens of batches later, our official name for these cookies is "Crack Cookies" because nobody can eat just one! Thanks again!
These cookies can stand alone as a very good shortbread cookie, or they can be spread with the filling just on the top of the cookie or they can be made into sandwich cream cookies, as the recipe describes. I used my food processor to finely chop the pecans. I froze these 5 days in advance of when I am going to serve them. But I tasted one now and that's how I decided on a 5-star review. Delicious!
These are delicious cookies! So soft and shortbread like with a wonderful caramel flavor from the brown sugar and vanilla! Mine were perfect at 11 minutes of baking. I added the entire 3 tablespoons of cream but then had to go back and add more powdered sugar because it became too thin... so, make sure to follow the recipe on that part! Excellent!! Edited to add that I didn't add the pecans because my family isn't crazy about nuts. They turned out great without the pecans and I didn't change anything else in the recipe.