Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My hubby loves creme brulee so this is always a huge hit in our house.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine 1 cup of sugar and the water in a large saucepot and bringing to a boil without stirring.
- Let it boil for about 5 minutes, watching carefully as the water boils off and it begins to turn yellow.
- Gently swirl until the sugar turns an even golden.
- Take it off of the heat before it gets brown and burns.
- Quickly pour the milk and cream into the caramel along with the vanilla and salt and whisk until incorporated.
- Whisk eggs and then slowly pour the caramel mixture into them, a little at a time, whisking constantly.
- Pour into 6 ramekins and bake in a hot water bath in the oven for 30 minutes, or until edges are set and centre is slightly jiggly.
- Just prior to serving, sprinkle with the remaining sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch.