Recipe by ChipotleChick
A great treat for movie night! Don't be intimidated about the idea of popping your own corn...it really is just about as easy as nuking it! Microwave popcorn isn't strong enough to hold up under the caramel, so I wouldn't suggest trying it.
Top Review by Green.Chef
I just made this for family movie night, and it is delicious! I added about 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla to the sugar mixture while it cooked over the stove. After mixing the hot sugar into the popcorn, I tasted it and something was missing. I mixed in about 1/2 teaspoon of salt from a sea salt grinder and that made all the difference.
- 3⁄4 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Pop the popcorn in a covered saucepan (the back of the package will usually tell you how) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the sugar and water and stir over low heat, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Place a warmed candy thermometer in the pan and boil over medium high, without stirring, until it reaches 234 degrees F, or the soft ball stage.
- Immediately pour it over the popcorn and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the popcorn onto a cookie sheet fitted with waxed paper, and let cool.
- Lightly butter your fingertips and break the popcorn up.
- You can store it in a ziploc bag or airtight tupperware for about 10 days.