Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy treat for the kids or for a sweet tooth! Easy to make and can be given away to that someone special!
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1⁄2 cup of toasted nuts (or your favorite)
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spread popped popcorn on 15x10x1 baking pan.
- Sprinkle nuts over popcorn.
- In large saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, 2 tbsp.
- water, corn syrup, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Bring to boil over medium heat.
- Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in baking soda until well mixed.
- Immediately pour over popcorn and nuts, toss until coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Stir, then bake 5 more minutes.
- Immediately spread on foil or waxed paper to cool.
SUPER!! This is a delicious recipe--I've already made three batches. It is quite easy to get an assembly line going to make multiple batches. I found it somewhat difficult to "toss" the popcorn and the coating in the shallow baking pan. I finally just put the popcorn in a stainless bowl to mix and found it much easier that way. I also turned it out to cool onto a parchment lined baking sheet and that worked well. Next time, I'm going to try lining the "baking" sheet with foil to cut down on the cleanup. I don't think parchment paper will allow the caramel mix to get hot enough. I used slivered almonds that I buy at Costco as that was all I had on hand. I have been searching for food gifts to mail during the summer and I think this is a winner! Danielle, thank you for sharing your recipe!
I found this recipe in The Pillsbury Cookbook and made it for Halloween. We used toasted almonds which makes it taste like Cracker Jack but better. Beware--once it comes out of the oven it's hard to quit eating. Thank you for posting this recipe!