Recipe by Betty&Joyce
One of the best Chicken recipes. It is from The Complete Stir-Fry Cookbook, but a bit modified. The flavor is fabulous. It is some work, but its worth it! It calls for chicken thigh fillets, but my mom & I use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Top Review by enigmused
I was a bit skeptical of the combination of caramel and cilantro, but this was very tasty. the caramelization created a nice crust on the chicken, and this was pretty easy to make as long as you remember the overnight marinade. I used rice vinegar instead of rice wine vinegar and am not sure if that affected the taste, but either way, I will definitely make this again.
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chinese rice wine or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the turmeric, 2 crushed garlic cloves, the ginger, soy, rice wine, egg yolks, white pepper in a large bowl and mix together well. Add chicken toss to coat. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight (optional).
- Pour away excess liquid from the chicken, add flour and toss to mix well.
- Heat wok until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl to coat.
- Add 1/3rd or 1/4th chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from wok and keep warm. Repeat until all the chicken is golden brown. Add oil as necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, brown sugar, and garlic. Mix together and leave for 1-2 minutes for the sugar to caramelize, and liquefy.
- Return chicken from wok and add coriander (cilantro) and vinegar. Stir gently for 2 minutes, and put the lid on for 2-3 minutes.
- Variation: Use twice the sauce and don't drain as much.