Recipe by Annas_Mom_Erin
easy and cheaper than buying it and definitely cheaper than buying a coffee from starbucks! From the joy of cooking Edit: I would like to point out that this recipe comes from The Joy of Cooking and is, therefore, not a troll. I have made it successfully several times as have other people. If you are having a problem it is possible that you may not be letting the sugar actually dissolve. This process takes several minutes and you will know you have achieved it when the syrup is almost clear and you don't have any granules on the bottom while you stir.
Top Review by no1heather
Works well for me. Have made this recipe several times with no failures. Suggest that when you ass the water at the end you add VERY HOT water as this prevents the caramel from cooling too quickly and setting immediately. On the first time I made this had to gently re-simmer to dissolve caramel and water but the hot water works a treat.
Directions See How It's Made
- mix 1/4 cup water and all sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat til sugar is dissolved. DO NOT LET IT BOIL UNTIL SUGAR IS DISSOLVED COMPLETELY.
- Turn heat to high and cover and let boil for two minutes.
- Uncover and stir gently while it continues to boil until it turns a nice deep amber color. Remove from heat.
- CAUTION: READ CAREFULLY: Stand back to avoid scalding yourself as mixture will begin to bubble rapidly when you do the next step.
- Add the rest of the water and then when the bubbles settle a bit the vanilla and salt and stir gently to mix. Let cool and it will keep in the fridge for up to six months.