Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Chocolate pie with a caramel surprise inside.
Pat-in-Pan Pie Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 30 caramels, unwrapped (from 14-ounce bag)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces sweet baking chocolate
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream (heavy)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- chocolate curls, if desired
- PAT-IN-PAN PIE CRUST:.
- Heat oven to 400°F Mix all ingredients until dough forms. Press firmly and evenly against bottom and side of pie plate, 9 x 1 1/4 inches. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely.
- Heat caramels, butter and 2 tablespoons water in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted. Pour into pie crust. Sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup powdered sugar with spoon until smooth. Spread over caramel layer; refrigerate.
- Heat chocolate and 3 tablespoons hot water in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted. Cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat whipping cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff; reserve 1 1/2 cups. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream. Spread over cream cheese mixture.
- Garnish with reserved whipped cream and chocolate curls. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour until firm but no longer than 48 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Makes 12 servings.