1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
From Betty Crocker's Best Of Baking. For an equally good chocolate-orange version (if you don't like caramel and nuts), omit the caramel nut layer, and add a bit of orange extract to the cream cheese and chocolate layers (you may also want to add grated orange peel to the cream cheese layer). If you don't have a decorating bag and tip for the whipped cream, just spoon it on in dollops (the canned stuff just doesn't compare). Either way you make it, the taste definitely makes up for the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 25 wafers)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 30 caramels (I use Kraft)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (I use Neufchatel cheese)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces sweet baking chocolate (such as Baker's German Chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream (or whipping)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- chocolate curls, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Mix cookie crumbs and 1/4 cup butter.
- 3Press firmly into a 9-inch pie plate (sides and bottom).
- 4Bake for 10 minutes, then cool.
- 5In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt caramels, 2 tbs.
- 6butter, and 2 tbs.
- 7water, stirring frequently.
- 8Continue until mixture is smooth.
- 9Pour into baked crust.
- 10Sprinkle with pecans (if using), and chill for about 1 hour.
- 11Beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup powdered sugar until smooth.
- 12Spread over cooled caramel layer, and return to fridge.
- 13Heat chocolate and 3 tbs.
- 14hot water over low heat in a heavy saucepan until chocolate is melted (don't ask me why it doesn't seize, I thought that too).
- 15Cool to room temp.
- 16Stir in vanilla.
- 17Using a chilled bowl and beaters, whip cream with 2 tbs.
- 18powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 19Reserve 1 1/2 cups.
- 20Fold chocolate mixture into remaining whipped cream, and spread over cream cheese layer.
- 21Top with reserved whipped cream (I pipe it over the top with a bag and tip) and garnish with chocolate curls.
- 22Refrigerate leftovers.
- 23TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CURLS: use a vegetable peeler on a large chocolate bar over waxed paper.
- 24Works better on room-temp or slightly warm chocolate.
- 25Use a toothpick to place chocolate curls on pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel-Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.6
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 248.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g