Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Quick Cooking Magazine (now called Simple & Delicious). Quick & easy - great in the summer when I don't want to heat up my oven - and the kitchen.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 24 caramels
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat butter, uncovered, on high for 20-30 seconds or until softened.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir into butter until blended.
- Set a third of the mixture aside for topping.
- Press remaining mixture onto the bottom of an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish.
- Cook, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until crust is raised and set(crust will be uneven), rotating a half turn after each minute.
- In a 1-qt. microwave-safe dish, heat the caramels and milk, uncovered, on high for 1 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every minute.
- Sprinkle chips and nuts if desired over crust.
- Pour caramel mixture over all.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press down lightly.
- Microwave,uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until the caramel is bubbly, rotating a quarter turn every minute.
- Cool before cutting.
- Yield: 16 servings.