This recipe was adapted from Almost Nutra Grain Bars posted on this site (one of my all-time favorite bars!). These bars have a delicious chocolate-caramel filling, they are THE BEST!! the oat crust/topping bakes out tender and light.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup smucker's caramel ice cream topping (use one 12.25-ounce jar)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- For the crust; in a large bowl mix together the cake mix with oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl whisk together the melted butter, lemon juice and egg until well blended; add to the oat mixture, using clean hands combine the ingredients until mixture barely holds together.
- Sprinkle two-thirds of the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan; pat down with hands to spread evenly.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the partially baked crust with chocolate chips then nuts.
- For the filling; in a bowl combine combine the caramel topping with 3 tablespoons flour; blend well, then drizzle over the chocolate and nuts.
- Sprinkle with remaining oat topping, then gently press the oat mixture down slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned).
- Let stand to cool enough to refrigerate, then chill.
- Slice into squares or bars.