Recipe by Mirj
My grandfather used to bring these home from the bakery when I was a little girl, and my brother and I would fight over them. I’m ecstatic that I found a recipe for them in the My Most Favorite Dessert Company cookbook.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup finely ground unblanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Let cool.
- Beat the eggwhites on high speed until they hold soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the meringues hold stiff peaks and is glossy.
- Gently fold in the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the ground almonds and the lemon zest until thoroughly combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Drop the meringue by heaping tablespoons onto the parchment paper, leaving two inches between each mound.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- The cookies will puff up slightly and then fall.
- Do not remove the cookies from the sheets until they are completely cooled, or they will break.