Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My grandfather used to bring these home from the bakery when I was a little girl, and my brother and I would fight over them. I’m ecstatic that I found a recipe for them in the My Most Favorite Dessert Company cookbook.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup finely ground unblanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Let cool.
- Beat the eggwhites on high speed until they hold soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the meringues hold stiff peaks and is glossy.
- Gently fold in the melted chocolate with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the ground almonds and the lemon zest until thoroughly combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Drop the meringue by heaping tablespoons onto the parchment paper, leaving two inches between each mound.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- The cookies will puff up slightly and then fall.
- Do not remove the cookies from the sheets until they are completely cooled, or they will break.
These were the nastiest cookies ive ever made. The dough was runny and made thin and unedible cookies. Had to throw out.